Wednesday 20 July 2016

Airfix's new 1:72 C47 Skytrain

Hello there,

No particular technique involved here, just a model and a few figures. This is Airfix 's 1:72 offering, a neat (not so little by the way, never realized a C47 had the same wingspan as a B17...) model.

I had in mind depicting the plane that carried Lt. Dick Winters on D-Day, so I purchased some clear and white decal sheet to print my own decals. I learned a few lessons:

1) Making your own decals takes a lot of planning, be prepared to ruin several decal sheets

2) Printing yellow is virtually impossible, so I finally used some leftover serial numbers from an Italeri kit. Granted, the model is not accurate, but who really checks the serial numbers anyway?

3) The font for US WW2 serial numbers is called "AmarilloUSAF" and finding it for free online is a bit like looking for the Holy Grail. I wish I could tell you how I got hold of it, but the sad truth is that I simply cannot remember. What I do remember is visiting an insane number of very suspicious websites selling it for stupidly high prices. (Said websites would also offer penis extenders and tiny blue pills. Not much modelling use there....).

So here are the pictures. The figures are a mix of Italeri 1:72 US paras (soft plastic), hard plastic Italeri's (There is a figure in the Horsa and Waco gliders models) and good old Airfix USAAF personnel. The jeep is the new Airfix model.







Happy Modelling!

Treflon

No comments:

Post a Comment